While catching-up on his blog entries, I read the terrible news about his wife. Susan has been fighting breast cancer for a few years, and it recently took a turn for the worse. Much worse. The cancer has metastasized throughout her body, including her brain.
A growing number of cycling blogs are displaying the Fat Cyclist pink jersey shown above, trying to generate as much support as possible for Elden, Susan & family. To that end, their friend Kenny has established the "Elden Nelsen Family Fund" to accept donations to provide support during this difficult (and expensive) struggle. Please donate if you can -- every dollar helps.
Why do I care? I've never met Elden, although we do have mutual friends. He's a former Microsoft employee, and I've been there long enough to be 2 degrees of separation from just about everyone. Helping another person in need just seems like the human thing to do.
Besides, I've seen how cancer can disrupt a family:
- My father beat Hodgkin's Disease twice before suffering a fatal heart attack.
- My father's brother died from acute leukemia.
- My mother has chronic leukemia and multiple myeloma.
- My mother's father died from leukemia.
- All of my mother's 9 brothers and sisters had some form of cancer; many died from it. (There's a lot of melanoma in my mom's family, mostly because they grew up picking cotton in the central Texas sun.)
No, I don't know exactly what Elden (and especially Susan) are going through, but I think I can appreciate a tiny percentage of what their children are experiencing. That's why I want to help.